I've been sugar free for 4 whole weeks. Lately, I've really wanted chocolate. Like, really. I'm not a big fan of extremely dark baking chocolate which has no sugar, so I had to come up with an alternative. I love making smoothies, and now that I'm back to lifting in the gym, I could use some very filling snacks. So, I created this chocolate masterpiece.
- 1 ripe banana (the more ripe, the more sweet!)
- 2 TBSP of cocoa (mine were heaping but you can adjust to taste)
- 2 spoonfuls of natural peanut butter
- About 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- Add some almond milk, and slowly add more during mixing to get the texture you want
- A handful of ice cubes
Throw it all in a blender, mix it up, and voila! Your very own tasty, chocolatey, refined sugar free smoothie.
This was surprisingly sweet. The only reason is because I'm off of sugar. If you regularly eat sugar, you may need to add honey/maple syrup/agave syrup to get a level of sweet you'll enjoy.
Try it without added sweeteners first, and let me know what you think!
You can also freeze ripe bananas and use those instead of ice cubes -- since it's winter, I wasn't prepared to want a cold smoothie, so my bananas were warm. :)