It's time. Winter's almost done (except for the nor'easter about to hit New England on Sunday), and as the temperatures rise, I am reconnecting with my blender. It's smoothie season! Here are the best things about smoothies:
- Fun straws.
- You get fruits & veggies. Check, check.
- You can drink them on the go if you're in a rush.
- No time spent cooking, you just pour things into a blender and press "Blend".
- They give you an energy boost and keep you feeling full.
- Super fast clean up time: add a teeny tiny bit of dish washing soap with some hot water, put the lid on, blend it a few times, and voila. You just have to give it a rinse and it's done.
- Fruit makes the smoothie sweet, so it's the ultimate healthy dessert.
- You can throw in a handful of kale or spinach and no one would be the wiser. Except of course if it turns green :) ..did i mention you get veggies?
- They're refreshing.
- There are a million ways to make them so you can never ever get bored!
- It is an easy gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free treat to make. As long as you check whatever milk you add.
Some of my favorites:
* Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana: 1 banana, a few scoops of peanut butter, 1 tbsp of cocoa, and 1-2 cups of almond milk. More milk = thinner smoothie.
* Pina colada: 1 banana, handful of frozen mango & pineapple, pour in a little coconut milk, about 1-2c of almond milk. You can throw in spinach to make it super green.
* Mash-up: 1 banana, handful of frozen blueberries, a handful of kale and almond milk.
And then of course, you can decorate your jars with fruits like kiwi and banana!